Sunday, October 27, 2013
A Grandmother's Love...
If you know me at all, then you know that my grandmother was my hero. My grandmother, also known as "Mama Kate", passed away in 2008 , and my heart has never quite been the same. I always miss her the most around this time of year as her birthday and other holidays approach. Let me tell you a few things about this amazing woman....She made me dresses for every Easter and Christmas. She made the best corn pudding and coconut cake. She mailed John a cake from TN to California for his birthday. She came to my volleyball and softball games. She shuttled me to my gymnastics classes. No one could rub my back like Mama Kate. We went to the ballet and plays. After I crashed my car, she drove me to work at 2am until my car was fixed. Mama Kate never met a stranger, she spoke to everyone as though they were her friend. She was the perfect example of unconditional love.
I think of my grandmother often during this spiritual journey I am on. My Mama Kate was a solid believer of God. She was a devoted church member, yet she never ever judged me for my "less Christian like" decisions. I remember going to church with her when I was little and how much she loved introducing me to her friends. "This is my first born granddaughter, Lisa Kate." she would proudly say. I would stand up tall and beam with pride. Even though she had a master's degree in Christian Education she never stopped learning about God. She asked questions and yearned for more knowledge and understanding.
As I am learning about God and trying to understand this massive love He has for me... I think about my grandmother and it makes it a little easier for me to grasp. I feel like that is how much she loved me. I have spent the last 5 years wishing I could hear her voice or see her face, just one more time.(even if it's in my dreams) But I don't. Not once. I picture her chatting it up with other angels in heaven, talking about her grandkids. "That Lisa Kate of yours is doing just fine.", they would say. Maybe I am doing just fine. I am still not sure how this heaven thing works, but if she can see or hear me... I hope she is still proud of her first born. I hope Mia thinks of me as HER "Mama Kate" someday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment